Cook Time: 1 hour 20 min
Prep Time: 15 min
( Serves 6 )
3 whole medium russet potatoes (cut into 1-inch cubes)
2 whole medium yams (red-skinned sweet potato; cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes)
4 whole large carrots (cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces)
3 whole medium parsnips (cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces)
5 tablespoon olive oil
6 tablespoon unsalted butter (room temperature)
2 tablespoon fresh sage (finely chopped)
2 whole garlic cloves (pressed)
4 pound organic chicken
1 teaspoon salt
8 cup mustard greens (coarsely torn)
1 whole shallot (minced)
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Toss vegetables and oil in a large roasting pan.
3. Mix butter, sage, and garlic in small bowl.
4. Place chicken in center of vegetables.
5. Using fingertips, loosen skin from breast.
6. Spread half the sage butter under the skin and the rest over the outside of the chicken.
7. Sprinkle salt over vegetables and chicken.
8. Roast chicken and vegetables for 15 minutes.
9. Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F and continue roasting until instant-read thermometer inserted into chicken thigh registers 165°F and vegetables are tender, about an hour.
10. Stir vegetables once during cooking.
11. Place greens and shallot on large deep platter.
12. When chicken is done, spoon about 3 tablespoons fat from juices in pan and drizzle over the greens.
13. Toss to coat.
14. Place the chicken on the greens and arrange the veggies around chicken.
To Make the Gravy:
1. Add wine and water to the roasting pan.
2. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring, then until slightly reduced, about 3 minutes.
3. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Transfer to small pitcher.
5. Serve chicken, passing pan juices alongside.